Check Your Statements to Stay Safe this Holiday Season
The holidays can be one of the most exciting seasons. You’re stocking up on holiday treats, planning family visits, and checking all the stores and websites for the best deals. However, these months can also be hectic. While you’re skimming through websites, you might not take the time to make sure your credit card information is secure. When you open email after email, you may not notice which messages are legit and which ones are cause for concern. Arranging to have a package sent to your house? You might be at work when the package arrives, and porch pirates could take advantage of your absence during the busy holiday season.
Watch over your bank and credit statements.
One of the best ways to protect yourself during the holidays is also one of the simplest: Check your bank statements often. Even those of us who typically do keep an eye on our financial statements tend to be less vigilant throughout the holiday season due to busy schedules, travel and the excitement of visiting loved ones.
During the holiday frenzy, people are making more purchases and tend to be more distracted. Identity thieves are looking to capitalize on that distraction in the hopes of catching you off guard as increased holiday shopping naturally places increased activity on your statements this time of year, making discrepancies harder to spot. Even with a higher volume of activity, it’s a good idea to go through your bank and credit statements carefully in search of unauthorized charges.
“Individuals tend to not look at accounts closely (during the holidays),” IDShield Product Director Allen Spence told U.S. News & World Report. But you can never be too careful. It’s good practice to carefully look over each bank statement as soon as you receive it. This will let you see all the money you’ve spent, as well as any money you don’t remember spending.
If you see some unexpected costs, that could be a sign that an identity thief is using your credit card information to make purchases for him/herself. Not every thief steals large sums at a time. Check for small expenses – five dollars here, ten dollars there. These small thefts add up to create big headaches, so you’ll want to take action as soon as possible. Call your bank and have them freeze your credit card, contact companies to inform them of the theft, and file a police report.
Most importantly, become an IDShield Member.
Let IDShield help you through these steps. IDShield is an industry-leading company that provides identity theft protection and resolution services. It is never too early to sign up for IDShield. Identity Theft Specialists are available to answer your identity-related questions to help you better manage your privacy and to help protect your identity
- We offer 24/7 Live Support for those identity theft incidents that occur when you least expect them and need professional assistance pronto.
- If your sensitive information is stolen, we perform Dark Web Scanning to catch your information if it appears for sale.
- You’ll receive a free Monthly Credit Report to keep close tabs on your credit score.
- A $1 Million Identity Fraud Reimbursement Policy covers certain identity fraud expense reimbursement and legal costs as a result of covered identity fraud.
- Get Consultation on an Unlimited Number of Identity-Related Issues to learn more about how to protect yourself.
- Don’t worry about your social media presence with our Social Media Monitoring.
- We’ll also monitor your Financial Institutions and Court Records to catch suspicious activity.
While it’s safe to exercise caution at all times, you don’t have to worry unnecessarily during this busy holiday season. Focus on the memories, the family and friends, and the reason for the season. Let IDShield focus on the rest.